How was it?
Food: 7.5/10
Service: 6.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Value: $$$

Apologies for my absence. Time has just flown by as I’ve been bogged down by work and life (and trashy reality tv)! Argh. So here’s the first post for 2011! A lovely meal I had at Soffritto that will surely melt your heart and heal the wounds left from my absence! ;) It was one of those chilly nights a couple of months back when I dined at Soffritto in Newtown. Warm sourdough bread was brought to our table after we ordered and we were promptly handed another plate, after almost finishing off the first in no-time.

Truffled Potato Gnocchi and Parmigianno $17.00

The first entree we ordered was the truffled potato gnocchi. One word – AMAZING! The best gnocchi I’ve had, seriously soft, plump and melt in your mouth ecstasy! Our resident gnocchi queen, PB, was thoroughly impressed and also proclaimed these to be the best she had ever eaten!

Tortellini filled with Duck, Balsamico & Sage $17.00

It was pretty hard to top the gnochhi, but the duck filled tortellini certainly gave it a run for its money. The duck filling was encased in the most delicate tortelli shell and the parmesan on top added a wonderful aroma.

Pumpkin, Walnut and Gorgonzola Rissotto $22.00

All three of the other ladies decided to order the risotto (obviously I was not dining with foodbloggers!). Not terribly appealing on the eye, but oh so creamy and delicious. A wonderful combination of pumpkin, walnut and gorgonzola gave the risotto a beautiful flavour. It did take a while to come out, which is a good sign that they make it to order, although not the best for a growling stomach!

Wild Barramuni roasted with Asaparagus $27.00

I ordered the wild barramundi with asparagus. There was fried bread crumbs scattered around which added a nice crunch to the delicioulsy tender barramundi. I love asparagus too, so this dish was perfect for me.

Overall:

A terrific restaurant at the quieter end of King St in Newtown. The gnochhi entree is a must order! I will definitely be back there when the weather starts to cool down (which hopefully wont be too long, because I am not a fan of this heat!!).

Soffritto Restaurant
367 King Street,
Newtown NSW 2042
Open Tuesday – Saturday 6pm til late
Tel: (02) 9565 4660
www.soffritto.com.au

Soffritto on Urbanspoon

Related Posts with Thumbnails

21 Responses to “Soffritto Restaurant, Newtown”

Comments (21)
  1. smurf says:

omg…looks to die for!!!! xx

2. I’ve been here twice now and look forward to the next visit. Fantastic food!

3. MelbaToast says:

Oh yum! That gnocchi looks amazing. There are so many great restaurants down the quite end of King Street. I need to try and get down there more often.

4. Looks beautifully rich and comforting and perfect, as you say, for cooler weather!

Now, to educate non-blogger friends on the notion of variety… =p

5. angie says:

Have read so many things about this gnocchi, must get here soon! After having the hand made stuff I get so disappointed when places serve me up the packet stuff =(

6. Wow…., this food looks wonderful, I adore gorgonzola in risotto so I’d probably end up making it 4 at the table eating it :)

7. The barramundi dish looks awesome, and a nice photo too. However, is it just me or is the portion of barramuni utterly tiny? It looks barely enough for a mouthful :)

8. Steph says:

Yummm that gnocchi is calling to me, I’ve been craving everything cheesy and carby recently! Looks pretty good :)

9. oh you had me at truffled gnocchi. what a great newtown find – can wait to try it! the gorgonzola pasta is calling my name too! So now tell us, which reality tv show are you hooked on huh?

10. gummi baby says:

You had me at the gnocchi, it could only go downhill after that but truly it didn’t. The only thing missing was dessert?!! : )

11. Maria says:

I’ve heard good things about this place, but unfortunately I never seem to look for Italian restaurants to eat in! That risotto looks lovely though!

12. Best you’ve ever eaten? That certainly is a big call! They look amazing.

13. Yum – on the lookout for great places in Newtown as 2 friends have just moved there. That gnocchi has my name on it now! The barramundi sounds great & it may be an optical illusion in that photo – but is that impossibly tiny or the asparagus enormous?

14. One of my favourite restaurants in Newtown, The gnocchi is a standout – I dream about it, and it is BYO so a special night out for not a lot of $$$. Compared to Bloodwood across the road which is a mosh pit.

Hey what trashy reality TV are you watching?

15. I’ve been craving Italian food this week, so this is on my list. Hmmm, decisions decisions!

16. Jen says:

AHHHHH, total droolage going on here! I’m tossed between the gnocchi and the tortellini!

17. The gnocchi is getting a good rap around the traps, will have to give it a try.. Will wait for the weather to get a little cooler though.

18. Wow, the duck tortellini look stunning. There’s times when I just crave good Italian, but for something different, this might just be it…!

19. The food there is fabulous isn’t it! We had those two entrees and were so smitten with them! :)

20. the ninja says:

Just goes to show that unlike on reality TV, you don’t have to be pretty to be beautiful…

21. Trisha says:

I’ll be moving somewhere closer to the area so hurray for great eats!!! I’m on the same boat as well Betty – work, work, work, TV, work, work, work

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Calendar

January 2011
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Mar »
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Thank you!

Thank you for stopping by!
I hope you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again!
Feel free to leave a comment or email me.
And happy eating :)